Spurs target top 4 after another loss
LONDON • Mauricio Pochettino has claimed it is now "impossible to fight Manchester City and Liverpool" for the English Premier League title after Tottenham slumped to a 2-0 defeat at Chelsea on Wednesday evening.
He was already pessimistic about their "tough" chances in the lead-up and his mood was further darkened as his team failed to show they could "fight for big things" at Stamford Bridge.
Spurs did not muster a single shot on target for the first time in the league under Pochettino, while Chelsea netted from the only chance they had through Pedro and a farcical own goal from Kieran Trippier.
The Argentinian admitted his players now had to turn their focus to the top-four fight as "the competition (had) put us in our place".
He said: "It's a 10-month competition, not just three or four months. We are disappointed now.
"After Burnley, I said it was difficult, and tonight... only they (City and Liverpool) can win the league, we must fight to win games and to be fair."
However, the Spurs boss refused to panic despite his players suffering from jitters with their second successive loss in the league.
If they lose to Arsenal tomorrow, the 10-point gap they had over their north London rivals a week ago will be down to one.
Asked if he was concerned, Pochettino said: "I am not afraid. I have the same feeling as before. We need to enjoy playing football.
"Everyone from the beginning of the season would have signed up to be in that position before playing on Saturday... with the possibility of playing against Arsenal at Wembley with the gap at four points. The pressure is on them (the other top-four contenders), not only us.
"If people are scared now about the top four, that is football. It's a massive business for sure, but we need to enjoy it, playing football."
But while Pochettino attempted to put on a brave front in the face of his team's flagging form, Maurizio Sarri felt the victory could be the springboard for a positive end to what has been a turbulent season.
The Blues manager, who dropped his first-choice goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga after his insubordination in last weekend's League Cup final, said the result was "really very important because we are fighting for the top four".
The Italian added: "We hope this is the turning point. Maybe, with this result, we can involve Tottenham in this battle (for the Champions League positions). The gap is very large, seven points, but maybe.
"The problem (with Kepa) wasn't so big as you write. In this job, you are under pressure every day, or if you are lucky, every six weeks.
"Kepa made a big mistake and then paid (for it) with the club. In this match, he has to pay for the team. It was only a message for all the team. Now we stop the question, it is behind us and in the future, Kepa will be with us."
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, REUTERS
Double injury blow for Tottenham Hotspur ahead of Liverpool clash Eric Dier suffered a groin injury in England's 5-0 win over Czech Republic last week and was forced to withdraw from Gareth Southgate's squad for their visit to Montenegro.
Double injury blow for Spurs ahead of Liverpool clash - Reuters
Ferland Mendy set for Real move, says France coach Deschamps
Sky Sports Premier League, Cardiff City Stadium He may not want to take that risk here as Chelsea look to bounce back from their defeat at Everton two weeks ago, which would keep them within
Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham handed top-four boost as
Double injury blow for Spurs ahead of Liverpool clash 2 Min Read (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur will be without Eric Dier and Serge Aurier for Sunday's Premier League trip to Liverpool, manager
Double injury blow for Spurs ahead of Liverpool clash
Cincinnati had been unable to convert chances in the top of the ninth, 10th and 11th innings after it stranded a combined five runners on base in the last three innings of a 2-1 loss to the Cubs on Sunday. "A real frustrating game," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "It was just really a chance to have a better finale with this series.
Reds made to pay for missed chances - The Carmarthenshire Herald
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on May 16, 2019, with the headline 'Merlion Cup to return after nine-year hiatus'. Print Edition | Subscribe.
2019 Merlion Cup - Wikipedia
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Destiny Beckons (@DestinyBeck0ns) | Twitter
WOLFSBURG, Germany (Reuters) - Germany's new-look team made a promising return to the international stage with a 1-1 draw against Serbia in a friendly on Wednesday, showing signs of improvement following a disastrous 2018. The Germans, knocked out of the World Cup in the group stage and relegated in
New-look Germany make promising start with Serbia draw
No room for complacency The latest reading of Philippine economic prospects by a credit rating agency and an economic research group is so positive that the opposition is likely to charge that the reports have been produced specifically to influence the May 13 elections in favor of administration candidates.
Quinnsights: No Room for Complacency in L&D | Learning
Football: Belgium top Fifa rankings again but England on the
Football: Derby shocker with Villa's Grealish attacked by Birmingham fan but he gets last laugh with winner Related Story Football: Call for clubs to be held liable for abuse
WATCH: Aston Villa's Jack Grealish scores winner after being
Manchester City endured some anxious moments but escaped from fourth-tier Newport County with their FA Cup hopes intact as Phil Foden scored twice in a 4-1 fifth-round victory on Saturday. Newport
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment