Pages

Strong support for 48 teams in Qatar but issues remain

Strong support for 48 teams in Qatar but issues remain
DOHA • A "majority" of football federations support increasing the number of teams playing at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar from 32 to 48, Fifa president Gianni Infantino said in Doha on Thursday.
Speaking at a press conference after a three-day Fifa summit, which was attended by more than 70 federations, he revealed that the plan enjoyed widespread backing from different associations, but admitted there were doubts about its "feasibility".
"We will see," Infantino said. "So far, of course the majority is in favour because 16 more teams can participate, not only means 16 more countries with World Cup fever, but also 50 or 60 more countries being able to dream."
A decision will be made in March at Fifa's next council meeting, after a feasibility study is completed.
The world football governing body has backed a 48-team tournament to become the norm from 2026, when the World Cup takes place in the United States, Mexico and Canada.
But, with the 2022 host "open" to the idea of a 48-team tournament, Infantino is considering implementing the changes earlier.
He said: "Of course, the first partner with whom we are speaking to is the Qataris, the Qatar federation, the Qatari authorities."
However, any decision to extend the showpiece event would be beset by logistical and political problems.
The first World Cup to be held in the Middle East will take place over 28 days, not the usual 32 and, according to Infantino, the length of the tournament is set in stone.
Since the number of days cannot be changed, one option would be to host games across the region.
Yet that possibility seems remote as Qatar is at the centre of the worst diplomatic crisis to hit the Persian Gulf in years.
Since June last year, the country has been politically and economically isolated by its neighbours, including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.
They have accused Qatar of supporting terrorism and being too close to Iran.
Doha has denied the charges, claiming its former allies are seeking to instigate a regime change and Infantino is well aware the embargo could prove problematic.
"Of course I am not that naive, not to know, not to read the news about what is going on. But we are in football, we are not in politics," he added.
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


Mourinho claimed ahead of the game that Liverpool have had luck on their side this season, but while there was fortune Mourinho concedes Man Utd incapable of living with Liverpool Sign in


Qatar stun Japan in Asian Cup final Qatar shocked four-time champions Japan 3-1 to win their first Asian Cup title on Friday, three years before the resource-rich Gulf nation hosts the World Cup in 2022.
Ali's 'golden touch' floors Japan as Qatar lifts Asian Cup


Arsenal legend Ian Wright says Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should drop error-prone goalkeeper David de Gea for the remaining two Premier League games. The Spaniard has made several costly errors in recent matches including Sunday's game which saw Chelsea claim a point at Old Trafford.
Paul Parker backs Solskjaer to be next long - talksport.com


David is one who likes to play games and I will have chats with him and he will respond in the right way." Asked if he should have dropped De Gea for the game, Solskjaer said to BBC Sport: "No
David de Gea: A world class goalkeeper making mistakes - not


Business BlackRock aims to be a top asset manager in China, Fink says. Investment giant sees Asia driving 50% of growth over next five years
US-China rivalry may become dangerous, Asian leaders and


VALENCIA • Valencia coach Marcelino has started the mind games by saying Arsenal are "the favourites" in their Europa League semi-final next month. The Spanish team, owned by Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim, eased into the Europe's second-tier club competition for the first time in five years - a 2-0 home win over fellow LaLiga side
Arsenal favourites for Europa League - Marcelino


Football: Stoke's England World Cup-winning 'keeper Gordon Banks dies at 81 LONDON (AFP) - Gordon Banks, the England football team's goalkeeper when they won the 1966 World Cup, has died aged 81, his former club Stoke announced on Tuesday (Feb 12).
Gordon Banks: England's World Cup-winning goalkeeper dies


LONDON: Manchester City's Raheem Sterling struck twice to beat Crystal Palace 3-1 at Selhurst Park in the Premier League on Sunday (Apr 14). The English champions had earlier moved a point ahead
Crystal Palace shock defending champions Manchester City in


Hannes H. Gissurarson Lessons for Europe from the 2008 Icelandic bank collapse 10 11 New Direction - The Foundation for European Reform

Premier League players will post a photo with the hashtag #Enough to mark the beginning of their 24-hour boycott of social media. Many high-profile names like Yaya Toure and Raheem Sterling are also championing the cause as they hope to catch attention of social media authorities in order to take a much-needed stand against the wrongdoers.
Premier League players to boycott social media in racism


MANCHESTER: Pep Guardiola says Manchester City and Liverpool have raised the bar in what is required to win a Premier League title after a blockbuster campaign by both teams. If both sides win
Guardiola: Man City have raised the bar in EPL, Latest


A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on January 07, 2019, with the headline 'Reds can deal with defeat well: Klopp'. Print Edition | Subscribe.
Jurgen Klopp: 'Life is a present. We have to deal carefully


The official website of the Detroit Tigers with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.
Riding Tigers Bike Rental Company - AAA Riding Tigers


May 06, 2019 · Liverpool host Barcelona tomorrow in the second leg of their Champions League semifinal. The Reds have it all to do after losing the first leg in Barcelona's Nou Camp stadium, 3-0. But it is
Liverpool's Champions League win over Barcelona will stay


Football: Pep Guardiola's biggest challenge is to find successors to ageing quartet. As Manchester City have dropped only 14 and 16 points respectively in the last two seasons, there is not much
How Pep Guardiola's Man City starting XI has changed since

0 comments:

Post a Comment