Pages

Football: Ex-England star David Beckham admits using phone while driving, police say

Football: Ex-England star David Beckham admits using phone while driving, police say

LONDON (AFP) - David Beckham has admitted driving his Bentley in London while using a mobile phone, British police said on Monday (March 18).
The former England football captain was charged after a member of the public told police they saw the 43-year-old on the phone while at the wheel of the car.
"The Met (Metropolitan Police) understands a postal guilty plea was subsequently received by Bromley Magistrates' Court," police said.
The ex-Manchester United and Real Madrid player was said to have been witnessed driving his 2018 Bentley while using his phone on Nov 21, 2018.
Two months earlier, he was accused of "shirking his responsibility" as a role model after avoiding prosecution on a speeding charge because of a technicality.
Enlisting the services of celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman, who is dubbed "Mr Loophole", Beckham accepted that he drove at 59mph (95kmh) in a 40mph zone in west London in January last year.
But he did not face further action because a notice of intended prosecution (NIP) was not received until one day after the statutory 14-day time limit.
This prompted Joshua Harris, director of campaigns for road safety charity Brake, to say it was "hugely disappointing" to see the role model "shirking his responsibility and getting off a speeding prosecution on a mere technicality".
Beckham was sent another NIP over the latest incident and was subsequently charged on Feb 5, according to court staff.
Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving in Britain is illegal.

 
The matter is listed to be heard at the court in Bromley, in the south-eastern London suburbs, on Tuesday, but Beckham is not expected to attend and members of the press and public will not be admitted.
The hearing will be an administrative one where a single magistrate may choose to impose demerit points or a fine.
Freeman also assisted Beckham in overturning an eight-month driving ban in 1999 after arguing that the footballer was trying to escape a paparazzi photographer.


Juventus, chasing an eighth successive Serie A title and still unbeaten, have 60 points from 22 games while Napoli have 51 after their 3-0 win over Sampdoria earlier on Saturday Juve went ahead in
Juve foiled by Gervinho brace after leading 3-1 - Football


North Shields FC and Wembley appearances, overcoats for goals and the Highbury clock. New book on Tyneside club's history reveals some startling facts, including the link between the Robins and
Harry Kane sets Wembley target for his reinvigorated


Jurgen Klopp says his Liverpool team could not have done anything more after they finished just behind defending champions Manchester City. Klopp: Liverpool 'did all we could' in Premier League
Liverpool news: Jurgen Klopp says Reds could not have done


Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri accepted his fine after being sent off in Monday night's 2-2 draw with Burnley.It's been suggested Sarri was provoked by con Chelsea boss Sarri on Burnley insults
The X-RATED insult which Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri reacted


Poor show but Emery backs Mustafi LONDON • Unai Emery bizarrely insisted Shkodran Mustafi "has been consistent all season" after his abject display against Crystal Palace ensured the top-four race remained wide open.
Unai Emery backs Arsenal's Mustafi ahead of Wolves


Late strikes from Godin and Griezmann keep Atletico in title chase. MADRID (Reuters) - Atletico Madrid left it late to see off Girona 2-0 at home on Tuesday as strikes from Diego Godin and Antoine Griezmann kept up their faint hopes of catching La Liga leaders Barcelona.
Late strikes from Godin and Griezmann keep Atletico in title


Football: Man City come from two goals down to reach FA Cup last four LONDON (REUTERS) - Premier League leaders Manchester City recovered from two goals down to beat Championship side Swansea City 3-2 at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday (March 16) to progress to the FA Cup semi-finals.
Man City come from two goals down to reach FA Cup last four


The Straits Times - Get latest breaking news, business, sports, lifestyle, tech & multimedia and more news in Singapore, Asia & rest of the world at straitstimes.com.
Croatia, Hungary win to pull away in Group E | SBS News

We must beat Liverpool to stay in title race: Guardiola


Manchester (United Kingdom) (AFP) - Pep Guardiola wants the pain of Manchester City's gut-wrenching Champions League elimination at the hands of Tottenham Hotspur to inspire a charge for an unprecedented domestic treble.
Guardiola hopes Champions League pain spurs on Manchester


ST Young Star Award: Queensway Secondary's history-maker Putri Nur Syaliza keeps feet firmly on ground Putri Nur Syaliza, one of the winners of the ST Young Star Award and the Football Association
Latest PUTRI NUR SYALIZA | The Straits Times


Football: New FAS technical director Joseph Palatsides confident of rousing 'sleeping giant' Singapore SINGAPORE - The Football Association of Singapore unveiled Joe Palatsides as its new technical director at a press conference at the Jalan Besar Stadium on Thursday (May 2).
New FAS technical director aims to awake 'sleeping giant'


Cesc Fabregas completes move from Chelsea to Monaco on deal until 2022 Spaniard joins old Arsenal team-mate Thierry Henry at Stade Louis II as club finally announce his arrival with a strange
Transfers: Cesc Fabregas completes move from Chelsea to AS


China has the money but not the prestige while Bayern Munich are another option José Mourinho may sound out. Teams Top Videos Play
Where next for José Mourinho as Real Madrid have an itch to


Neymar will miss both legs of PSG's Champions League tie against Manchester United after being ruled out for 10 weeks with a metatarsal injury. (AFP pic) PARIS: Neymar will miss both legs of
Neymar to miss Man Utd tie after being ruled out for 10 weeks

0 comments:

Post a Comment