Pages

Football: Pele back in Brazil after hospital stay in France

Football: Pele back in Brazil after hospital stay in France

SAO PAULO (AFP) - Pele arrived back in Brazil on Tuesday (April 9) after having surgery for a "severe urinary infection" during a six-day hospital stay in France that revived fears about the three-time World Cup winner's state of health.
The 78-year-old, who is widely considered to be the greatest footballer in history, was discharged late Monday from the private American hospital in the Paris suburbs where he had been taken after falling ill following an appearance at a promotional event with France striker Kylian Mbappe.
After arriving at the Sao Paulo-Guarulhos airport in Brazil, Pele was taken through a gaggle of reporters at the terminal in a wheelchair and was driven away in a van.
"Once again, thank God, everything went well. I'm alive. Long live Brazil," said Pele, a gold cross hanging around his neck, after he arrived in Brazil's biggest city.
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the Brazilians and all those who called the hospital, who called me, for my operation, to wish me a rapid recovery," he added.
He also thanked the hospital for his treatment, saying: "France not only has great footballers, it also has very good doctors."

NEYMAR VISIT


In a statement on Monday on the Globoesporte.com site, Pele said he had required "medical assistance and surgery" for a "severe urinary infection."
Before he was discharged, current Brazil star Neymar, who plays alongside Mbappe for Paris Saint-Germain, paid him a visit at the hospital.

 
Neymar posted a photo on his Instagram account Monday of himself next to a smiling Pele in his hospital bed with the two holding hands.
Brazil's G1 reported that Pele had intended to come out of hospital on Saturday to return to his home country, but had been delayed because he had to undergo further tests.
The urinary tract infection was not serious and was under control, members of Pele's entourage had said.
Pele, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 1958, 1962 and perhaps most memorably in Mexico in 1970 when his swashbuckling team re-defined modern football, has had several health scares in recent years.
A similar urinary infection put him in intensive care in November 2014.
In 2016, Pele, who played 1,363 professional matches, scoring 1,281 goals, turned down the chance to light the flame at the Rio Olympics because he had undergone hip surgery earlier that year and was suffering from muscle pains.
In 2017, he appeared at the draw in Moscow for the World Cup in Russia but was in a wheelchair on that occasion too.
In January 2018, he cancelled a trip to London fearing a "stressful" and "tiring" journey.
At the event for a sponsor in Paris, Pele remained sitting throughout his meeting with Mbappe - the two men are the only teenagers to have scored in a World Cup final.

Liverpool's Klopp condemns 'disgusting' Salah abuse ahead of


FC Barcelona were held to a frustrating 0-0 draw at Olympique Lyonnais in their UEFA Champions League last 16 first leg tie on Tuesday. The […] Wasteful Barca held to goalless draw at defiant Olympique Lyon - P.M. News
Wasteful Barca held to goalless draw at defiant Olympique Lyon


Schalke 04 warmed-up for the Champions League visit of Manchester City with a goalless draw at home to fellow Bundesliga strugglers Freiburg on Saturday. Schalke are winless in their last three
Football: 10-man Schalke draw blank ahead of Man City clash


Ronaldo 'risks missing' Champions League quarters Cristiano Ronaldo is an injury doubt for the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Ajax on April 10. a risk he'll miss the
Champions League 2019: Tuesday Odds, Live Stream for Round-of


Reds the hungrier side, says Van Dijk LONDON • Virgil van Dijk believes Liverpool will want victory more than Everton in the Merseyside derby today owing to the ramifications in the pursuit of the Premier League title.
Reds the hungrier facet, says Van Dijk - Latest News


Youthful talent gives England a bright future, says Henderson Odoi and 20-year-old Declan Rice joining an England squad already bolstered by the rise of Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling, Marcus
England: Jordan Henderson reveals honest thoughts on West Ham


Serbian striker Luka Jovic will leave Eintracht Frankfurt and join Spain's Real Madrid on a contract to 2025 pending a medical, the two clubs said on Tuesday. worth more than 60 million euros


Hatem wonder strike secures Qatar upset of South Korea. ABU DHABI (Reuters) - Qatar's Abdulaziz Hatem scored with a stunning late strike as the 2022 World Cup hosts upset Son Heung-min's South Korea 1-0 to reach the semi-finals of the Asian Cup for the first time on Friday.
Football: Hatem wonder strike secures Qatar upset of South


The goalscorer was Wu Lei, a national hero for football fans in China. And he had just become the first Chinese player to score in La Liga, in a game watched by an estimated live television
Wu Lei (footballer) - Wikipedia

Football: Tottenham's Vertonghen to see neurologist over head


Football Athletics Rugby Golf Others TalkUp. Salah lauds 'unbelievable' Liverpool after Champions League glory. and to be an Egyptian at this level is unbelievable for me," said Salah.
Salah lauds 'unbelievable' Liverpool after Champions League

0 comments:

Post a Comment